Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 2 Dairy Free

Well I have survived another day without my beloved cheese. I never in a million years thought I could live without dairy! But I am doing it, I really am. The odd thing about this is, not only am I living without dairy products, I don't really even miss them....yet. Plus I am so on track right now with my eating and following MAB. More so then I have in months! I find as I continue on this journey, those little thing you stop noticing creep back in. For instance, recently when I would  make my sons lunch, say a grilled cheese, I would take a bite of it, just one though, before I would give it to him. He would ask me a for a dessert and I would have just one bite. All those  "Just ones" add up after awhile. Today I really noticed.  I was making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and the thought crossed my mind to pop the knife in my mouth like I always do before putting it in the sink, but I didn't. All day I have noticed little things like that that I would do and not even think about it. I am much more aware of what I am doing and this was exactly the change up I needed to refocus and get back on track.

I have found that finding alternative products is a bit trickier following Mend-a-body. Since we follow an anti inflammatory low glycemic diet, finding products that are dairy free and not full of sugar and carbs is a bit of a challenge. I was so excited the other day when I purchased some products from the Tofutti line made up of tofu for cream cheese and sour cream. It tasted really really good and a pretty good substitute. I was really surprised! Then a friend pointed out that it had 2 grams of Trans fat in it! How I missed that when I read the label I don't know, but I was not pleased. I started searching on line and found tons of complaints from other consumers who were not happy that a supposed healthy food alternative had trans fat in it! Apparently Tofutti took notice and made another line that does not have the TF in it...but the local grocery stores still carry the regular line, not the TF free line. I called Whole Foods and they do carry the products I need, but what a pain to have to to go all the way to Portland just to be healthier.

Then I found quite a few ice cream alternatives made with Coconut Milk and Almond Milks. Woohooo, so excited, then I noticed the high fat and calories along with the boat loads of sugar added in! That will not help me lose weight. So I settled for a no sugar added version that was shockingly good. The fat content wasn't what I would have liked, but this will be as a special treat for when I really need it.

So this weekend it will be time to hit up Trader Joes and Whole Foods and hopefully not break the budget. I can't become house poor trying to lose weight no matter how good it is for me. I'm hoping to find lots of products without genetically manufactured additives and without loads of chemical replacements. Gosh when did I start caring about this sort of stuff?

Who said weight loss was easy and not complicated? I did it to myself, but sheesh, can I just eat a gallon of ice cream and some chips and slip into my tiny little bikini the following day? Everything must be so darn difficult, but I will get there someday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment